Wilde Emma: this recipe was one of my personal highlights and the very beginning of my #brotokoll. Why? Well there is a story behind:
Kruste & Krume ist he largest breadbaking festival in Austria – Same as in 2017, also in 2018 the event was featuring a homebaker competition – open for everyone.
The recipe had to comply with the following requirements of the top-class jury: natural leavening, at least a 60% Emmer or Einkorn portion (of total flour), and the baked loaf had to be delivered at latest 09:00 a.m. the day of the event.
My personal challenge: just 38 hours prior to the delivery deadline we returned from our vacation in Mexico. No chance to have an active sourdough in my hands at that time (as it was unfed in fridge for almost 3 weeks).
So thank god I am a wild yeastwater fanatic! Due to the short time I had left, I followed an advise from Claudio Perrando to build a yeastwater based stiff starter (Biga). And lucky me, my mother-in-law had taken care of the magic bubble-water while we were relaxing in sunny Mexico (for her it was an absolute nightmare – with sleepless nights and thoughts she would destroy my competetion plans by feeding the yeastwater with a wrong timetable – Milli you were my hero!)
For the final recipe, I finally chose Emmer (60%) – the rest (40%) was split into italian Tipo 0 (one of my absolute favorite flours) and Semolina Rimacinata. Moreover, I wanted to play with the nutty taste of Emmer and to highlight it with roasted walnuts (for an even more aromatic taste, i decided to use the water the walnuts were soaked in, for my main dough). Sweetness and a little bit of acidity were delivered by cranberries – that was the last detail, making my Wilde Emma simply perfect.
What shall I say – the judges voted and my recipe was awarded with the 2nd place in the competition.
Now I have a new challenge: convincing you guys! Have fun and hapy baking with Wilde Emma!
You still don’t have wild yeast water in your portfolio? HERE you will learn everything you need to know.